Fungus Rock, known in Maltese as “Il-Gebla tal-General” (the General’s Rock), is a small islet at the entrance of Dwejra Bay on the east coastline of Gozo.
The Knights of St John apparently discovered a rare fungus growing on the rock; which doctors at that time believed had medicinal properties. It was used as a septic dressing for wounds and dysentery.
It was so prized by the Knights that they gave the fungus as gifts to noblemen and distinguished visitors to the islands.
In 1746 Grand Master Pinto decreed “Fungus Rock” out of bounds and posted guards; anyone caught trespassing risked a three-year sentence as oarsmen in a Knights galley.